I came across this recipe on another blog (The Nourished Kitchen). It is by a guest blogger named Brenda from http://www.wellfedhomestead.com. It is so, so, so, so, good. That’s right, all the ingredients are in your Hand Me Down Pantry. I had some left overs after dinner the other night. So the next day I added rice, baby bellas, more cream and milk and it was dinner “the sequel.” You could add some of those crispy onion strings on top and give a nod to green bean casserole if you are feeling sassy. The following recipe is my adaptation. Go to her website for her original version.
bacon, chicken and green beans
- 6 strips of bacon cooked and chopped
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 boneless, skin-less chicken breasts, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 24 ounces or so of fresh or canned green beans
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 cup half and half
- Heat a large skillet over medium high heat, cook bacon and set aside on paper towels.
- Cook chicken in remaining bacon grease. Add butter to the pan. Add garlic and onions and reduce heat to medium, stirring until the garlic and onions are tender. Add in green beans, and cooked bacon, cover and let simmer for about 5 minutes, longer if fresh beans. Stir in cheese and milk until mixed well. Remember to move the ingredients to the side of the pan and “make a home” for your sauce by putting the cheese and liquid in the middle (that was for Brandice). I started with 1/2 cup of cheese and cream/milk and then kept adding each until I got it to the consistency I like.